Tuesday 3 April 2007

Because Children Are Our Future

Ok, this myspace thing is all pretty new to me so I kinda spend a fair bit of time on there. I get a fair few personal messages so I just answer them as I go and don't really give them much thought. But something occurred to me this morning and I went back over the past couple of weeks and had a really good look.

I seem to get alot of personal messages from teens in Australia who tell me they support the Troops, they support the Vets and they support the Government. I have had messages from 16 and 17 year olds that can't wait to vote so they can vote for John Howard.

When I look over their pages they all have one thing in common. They are Proud To Be Aussies (P.T.B.A). Something else they seem to have in common is an understanding of what is happening in Iraq and Afghanistan. They often ask me questions which I try to answer without getting all politicl on them or point them in the direction of relevant information on the topics.

Naturally, I feel it is important for them to show an interest and be aware, it is a rather fine line though between encouraging them to seek answers and offering them mine. I find it is better to point them towards information and let them find their own.

What I see in these adolescents is hope. They are asking intelligent questions and showing a real interest in the answers. At an age where many of their friends are getting involved in ridiculous trends and expressing their individuality by following crowds, they are doing the thing that is often percieved as uncool and showing an interest in politics and their Government. They are reading newspapers and surfing the net to find information. Some of them actually know more than many people I know who are a damm sight older than them.

So much of what they see is Anti Government, Anti War and Anti American. That they have the strength to stand proud and extend their middle finger to the negators and Anti Everything Crowds who attempt to brain wash them gives me hope. They are Aussies and they are proud. Proud of our past and hopeful for our future.

I can only hope that flame will never be distinguished.

No comments: