Wednesday 18 April 2007

VA Tech Tragedy

With the Columbine High School shootings still fresh, America is once again reeling from the actions of a lone gunman this time, who randomly took the lives of 32 people before turning the gun on himself. Just a few days short of the 8th anniversary of Columbine, the US Constitutional Right to bear arms is once again in the spotlight.

For us Aussies, it is a painful reminder of one of the darkest days in our history, the Port Arthur Massacre that claimed the lives of 35 people including 2 young children. I remember that day so clearly, I was at home when the news channels took over scheduled tv programs to report the incident as it unfolded. Some tourists had managed to capture footage on personal video cameras of the events and this was being broadcast live. From the comfort of our living rooms we could hear the crack of gunfire and see the lone gunman, Martin Bryant, walking around calmly aiming his weapons at anyone in his path. He was calm and methodical and it chilled me to the bone. The feeling was almost surreal, like watching a movie and yet knowing it was real, it really was happening.

While the excuses flowed (Bryant was apparenly unstable from a young age and his father had recently committed suicide, tipping him over the edge) and the bleeding hearts stepped in, as they are prone to do, to support Bryant, Australia demanded a response. Well, we got one.

The Gun Controls were not unwelcome by the average Australian. Those who had legitimate reason to have a gun were allowed to keep them. On the whole Aussies recognised that if people were not able to threaten you with a gun, you would not need to defend yourself with one. Over time, with guns less accessible and not accessible at all to those with criminal records we saw a new trend emerge. You are more likely, in Australia, to be held up with a baseball bat or a knife. In general this makes you less likely to wind up dead. The amount of effort it would take to kill you is just not allowed for by would be thieves. Contrary to what the rest of the world believed, most Aussies felt alot safer knowing that a mass of guns had been removed from the streets.

The VA Tech shootings were just horrendous, but to me personally, so is the thought that a Collegge Student had stockpiled weapons and ammunition in a College Dorm room. The sad fact is warning signs are often heeded to late. Signs seem so much clearer in hindsight when you know exactly what you are looking for. We can't police the worlds social, mental and emotional issues. A large percentage of people with Social and Emotional issues will never resort to violence or self harm.

For Australians I guess our lifestyle accounts for us not needing weapons. There have been 4 shooting deaths in my town (population 15,000) that I can remember in the last 25 years. One was a double homicide over a land dispute, one was drug related and one they never actually confirmed as murder or suicide. I personally feel safer knowing that as a whole, Aussies do not feel the need to have firearms.

This is how Australia reported the VA TEch Massacre....

THE gunman who massacred 32 people at Virginia Tech university has been named as Cho Seung Hui, 23, a South Korean English student who left behind a "disturbing and angry" manuscript before his rampage.

Link

While the right to bear arms is a subject Australia and America will possibly never agree on, one thing is certain....When one country is cut, the other bleeds. When the WTC was hit on 9/11 we lost Aussies. 9 families stood by their phones waiting for the call to say their sons and daughters were safe when news of the VA Tech Shooting spree first emerged.

Our countries are linked, Americas pain is shared by us. At this awful time in Americas history, Australians send their prayers and best wishes to the victims, their families and those left to rebuild shattered lives. America is our friend, we mourn with you.

A_C

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dog gone it A_C you made me go and disagree with you.....not in a bad way. I followed a story over to the London Daily Telegraph and the comments started off with the condolences but quickly turned to a basic theme of "this is all because of America's gun laws (lack thereof) and they get what they deserve". Now of course most of these commentors were European and spoke about buying guns in the supermarket in America yada, yada, yada. We do actually have restrictions on gun ownership in this country and I believe the common misperception out there is that all Americans are walking around packing heat just waiting to shoot someone. I realize you are NOT perpetuating the myth, it's just what I've seen generally. I believe your gun laws in 1995 banned automatic weapons which have actually been banned in this country for 50 years. Most Americans do not feel the need to carry a gun for protection. I myself own 4 guns which are for hunting and target shooting and do not feel the need to have a gun for protection. One reason the founding fathers of this country put gun ownership in the constitution was so that people could actually overthrow the government if it overstepped its bounds (Federalist Papers).

I thank you A_C for handling this tactfully and by leaving off that we can just agree to disagree.

A_C said...

The Buy Back scheme left us completely unable to have automatic weapons but people were also required to give up single shot weapons unless they could prove they needed them (station and farm owners and for some obscure reason recreational and sport shooters).

I say obscure because they don't NEED them, they simply WANT them. There's a differnce.

Anyway, when I was working out bush I saw the draw back to this. One night on a station some dingoes attacked one of the Sheep Dogs, Ziggy. We stood and threw rocks at them trying to scare them off while one of the owners attempted to put his .22 together in time to save her. The problem was, the gun had to be disassembled for storage and the bullets stored separately, all in locked boxes. You can well imagine, Ziggy died. Losing a Sheep Dog on a station is like losing a family member, but what ensued was a conversation about what would have happened had it actually been a family member that required help.

Now I have to admit, I love a bit of roo or rabbit shooting, but can live without it.

My other issue is that we have young and impressionable kids here who glorify Americas 'Rap Culture'. God help us if they had access to weapons!! A few years ago the indigenous kids in my town took to dividing themselves up into 'Gangs' and carrying knives. Trust me, that was bad enough!!

We do still have an underworld gun culture of course, but they predominantly shoot each other.

I don't believe VA Tech could have been prevented anymore than Port Arthur could have. Unstable minds always manage to find a way. I don't 'blame' Americas gun laws. That being said I am still glad to live be living in a country with strict gun laws.

I can see your point though OT and I know y'all aren't gun toting psychopaths.

On the whole I personally would prefer to live here under our gun laws than without them.

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind that our worst massacre here was carried out by boxcutters and airplanes... And I believe number 2 was carried out with fertilizer and fuel.

I had an encounter in the woods with a wayward bear. When he began following me down a trail I yelled at him. Almost all bears will run scared when a person yells at them however this one did not. He actually came in for a closer look!! (it was almost twice my size) Fortunately, the warning shot ran him off and I didn't have to kill him, but it DID take a warning shot

A_C said...

We gonna argue about this all day??

Hahahaha

I guess this means I wont be moving to America any time soon huh?? That could be considered a good thing, means y'all are safe!!

Anonymous said...

'nuff said. I'm all done with it. As you put it in your post, we can agree to disagree ;-)

Tracy said...

hey now, you guys don't agree and you had a nice debate!! It can be done. I wish some others out there in the blogosphere and in politics would come here and learn from you two!!

I'm not going to weigh in b/c I'm another American and can't think like an Aussie LOL

Thanks guys for the interesting debate.