Tuesday 10 April 2007

Support Our Diggers

G'day Reader,
A_C invited me to participate in this blog after viewing one of my videos on http://www.youtube.com/ , which is also now on http://www.livevideo.com/ , called Defend Our Diggers. I've added it at the bottom if you want to skip to the good bit.
About me? Not much to tell really. I grew up in country New South Wales, Australia; inland from Lake MacQuarrie. So I was surrounded by mountains, rivers, lakes and the sea as well as farms, horse and cattle studs and the like. School was pretty uneventful, although I was always in the top 2 percent of the state right through, did debating and footy but cricket bored me to tears. So Summers and school holidays were all hiking, horse-riding and camping or working on properties - basically Jackaroo-ing, and fighting the odd bushfire. A Jackaroo for those not from Oz is sort of like a cross between a Stockman, General Farmhand and a Cowboy, with a swag but without the swagger. We lived in Cattle and Horse country so no Sheep jokes please - I hate em - and Sheep jokes are funnier if told about New Zealanders.
Hmmm, after that it was off to Port Waratah, Newcastle to do my trade as an Electrician with the BHP while part-time studying Electrical Engineering at Newcastle University. From there I was off to the Australian Regular Army for almost a decade and after that I was a Paramedic for 11 years. At the end of that time I had to medically retire. Here in Oz, I served with the Army in New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and lastly here in Tropical North Queensland where my wife and I settled and have all but raised our family of a Son and five Daughters. Anything else is my business.
Apart from that, I'm a cranky, bald, bespectacled, bitter, cynical, opinionated old bastard, who loves a Beer or a Wild Turkey, prefers an informal barbeque to a formal Dinner, prefers to be casually dressed if dressed at all (that's a subtle way of saying Nudist), and I generally live by the saying, "If you are easily offended, then you have made my job that much easier".
Having said all that, I support all Our and our Allies' Servicemen and Women, regardless of the politics involved, in all their directed endeavours. And may God Bless and Keep them all Safe.
Well I said it wasn't much to tell, it's your own fault for readin' it all.
OK, you can buggarorf now and watch the video.
Geoff
aka Bakes
aka Gigolo8

3 comments:

DebbieKinIL said...

Geoff, I really enjoyed your post and video.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm far FAR worse in person My Dear.

devildog6771 said...

Geoff, I just love people who don't take themselves too seriously. I loved your post. Hope to see more.