Sunday 13 May 2007

Supporting The Troops


There is something I feel compelled to make clear before I start.... The following are MY opinions and mine only. This post is NOT representing the views of my co-writers in any way.

As most of you are probably aware, A Soldiers Mind has been running an Essay Writing Competition, asking people to write what their idea of supporting the troops is. I was actually very interested in alot of the reponses to this and recieved alot of feedback from deployed and recently returned Soldiers after reading my essay. This paved the way for some open discussions with the Soldiers about their feelings.

I have been criticised repeatedly for my stand on supporting the Troops. I am here to tell anyone who reads this and doesn't agree, I don't care. I couldn't care less if people believe I am being selfish because I am as inclined to tell the Soldiers about my problems as I am to listen to theirs. I don't care what people think of me refusing to call them heroes after they ask me not to. I don't care what people think of me calling them mates because that's what they are. And I will make no apologies to anyone for not joining drives or groups or anything of the sort.

I believe every contribution helps. Nothing pisses me off more than being told what is and isn't support. I am the first to admit I hate the words "I support the Troops but not the war". Hey to each their own, I just don't get how that is supporting anyone. Just because you send a care package doesn't make it alright to negate what the person who will recieve it is doing. But if that is how they see fit to support someone then so be it.

I recieved this letter this morning from a deployed Soldier...

Well, I can say that there are a lot of people who pay lip service regarding supporting the troops. They go out and buy the car sticker or magnet and put it on their car and say they support the troops. As for me, I'm happy when I'm walking somewhere not near a military base, and someone comes up to me and just says thank you.

Some people think that you have to support the troops by sending them packages. Well, not everyone has the money to go out and buy and then send packages over seas to the troops. I can't think of any military member that would want someone to go without, just so they could get a care package from someone they didn't know.

There are so many ways for people to support the troops. Everyone likes to laugh. If you send a letter or card to someone thru Soldier's Angels, send them your e-mail address. Soldier's are more likely today to respond to you that way then with a letter. Please think about it. During the little time a Soldier has off, do you think they would rather spend that time writing a letter to someone they know and love, or to someone whom they have never met?

I made contact with the two people who sent me their e-mail, and try to make sure that I send them a note telling them how I am doing. I get cards from people I have known my whole life, and I make sure to tell my parents to tell them thank you, and when I go home, I will repay their kindness by singing in church. That is what they will want from me. I know it's not much, but I know my church, and they all want me home safely, and when I come to visit, to sing on one of the sunday's I am home.

It doesn't matter how you support the troops, and no one should tell anyone that the way they show support is wrong. My friend Aussie_Chic post blogs on 3 websites regarding what soldier's feel and say to her in conversations. She also surfs the web tirelessly looking for comments regarding the war and the strain it has on soldiers. I hope you note her name, Aussie_Chic. Yes, you guessed it, she is from Australia. She signed up for Soldier's Angels, and that is how we met. Instead of just worrying about the military personnel from Australia that are fighting the war on terror, she is worried about ALL SOLDIERS.

Now when I say soldiers, I mean each branch of the military. Thru conversations with her, I know she has corresponded with several US Soldiers, and I'm sure each of us will never forget the effort she puts out to make sure the Soldier's voice is heard. She doesn't ask for anything to do this. It's something she wants to do. But, she has told me that people have told her she's wrong in her way of showing support for the troops, because she doesn't do it the same way everyone else does. I say, SO WHAT!!! I have told her, if what she is doing makes her happy, and helps put a smile on the Soldier's face that she is talking to, then she is supporting the troops.

When I was home in Feb, waiting for my plane from Dallas to Ft Hood, I must have had 15 to 20 people stop me and thank me for what I do. While they may not be spending money and sending me packages, they are supporting the troops in their way. There is no set way to support the troops. I have never seen a set of rules or regulations that state you must support the troops in this way, or don't do it at all. When we have that, then we have lost the freedom for which we the troops are fighting. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

A Soldier thanking those who thank us, each in their own way.

This Soldier actually asked me to share this letter. While I can't name him, I can pass on messages to him.

I think Tracy says it best when she tells me that she believes there are different Soldiers that fit with different Supporters. No one way is right or wrong, the Soldiers will simply respond to the person that appeals to them. I have been accused of being disrespectful, unpatriotic and selfish amongst other things because I chose to do things my way. I'll let you all in on a little secret. There is another Aussie Chic, otherwise known as Lil Aussie Chica who also supports the troops in the same way I do. She is also dating a member of the ADF and is also outspoken in the same way I am. She literally support THOUSANDS of Coalition Soldiers and their families. She is also one of the most approachable, open and honest people I have ever met. Her approach is the same as mine. We take the Soldiers on as mates, we share our ups and downs, we cry on each others shoulders. We laugh together, we mourn together, we argue and debate and share our lives with each other.

She also recieves the same messages I do.... Thankyou for not putting us on a pedestal, thankyou for being our 'Mate'. Thankyou for remembering we are people too.

There are many ways of finding Soldiers to support, I am happy to pass on ideas to anyone who wants to email me.

I know there are alot of people who can't take on the obligation to send care packages. I'm here to tell you it isn't necessary. It's nice for the Soldiers to recieve them but what they need more than anything is mates. People to listen to them, cheer them up when they need it and to help them forget for as long as they can where they are and what they are doing. So many good people are not getting involved because of the financial obligations people attach to support. There doesn't need to be any. Public libraries everywhere have free internet access. If you can commit to a couple of hrs a week to head down to the local library and send off some emails you can make a difference.

And people, don't ever let anyone tell you putting a magnet or sticker on your car doesn't make a difference. I have an Aussie Flag along the back window of my car behind the seats and wear support and military tshirts quite a bit and you would be amazed at the amount of people who stop me to comment. I also often have Veterans come up to me in the street and introducing themselves and saying thankyou. The smallest things can make a difference if they are done in sincerity.

It's time to change the rules here people. Dictating what is and isn't support is not on. It needs to stop. In the words of many of the Soldiers I correspond with 'The Support Nazi's need to back off'!!

A_C

No comments: